Job Opening in Berlin: Full-time Research Assistant (digital scholarly editions, project coordinator) at the Berlin Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Announcement of Job Opening
The BERLIN-BRANDENBURG ACADEMY OF SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES (BBAW) is a public corporation based in Berlin. Its academic profile is characterized above all by long-term basic research in the humanities and cultural sciences. The Academy employs around 350 staff and has an annual budget of around 25 million euros.
For the launch of an international digitization and digital edition project, the Academy invites applications for the position of a
Research Assistant (male/female/divers)
in the field of Digital Scholarly Editions and Project Coordination
100% full-time position for an initial duration of 36 months.
The position should ideally begin as soon as possible.
The CENTRO HUMBOLDT – Center for Digital Cultural Heritage Research, to be founded in 2019, is an international cooperation at two locations: Berlin (BBAW) and Havana (Casa Museo Alejandro de Humboldt). As an interdisciplinary and intercultural project, the CENTRO HUMBOLDT will be home to a team of international researchers who work to preserve, develop and research written cultural heritage with the help of the technologies and methods of the digital humanities. This includes creating the philological basis for the corpus to be jointly developed within the framework of a digital workflow (digitization – metadata capture – text capture in TEI-XML – publication) and supporting it with own research and scholarly editing (transcription, indexing, annotation). The position includes regular work assignments and team meetings in Havana. The focus of the project is on cultural and scientific historical sources of the 18th and 19th centuries in the context of Alexander von Humboldt’s American journey.
- Research and scholarly editing
- Providing guidance for the editorial process within the scope of the project
- Supporting the project’s lead with the main steering tasks (i.e. cooperation with CENTRO HUMBOLDT’s institutional partners), including monitoring (i.e. schedule, reporting, finances)
- Organizing public events, workshops and conferences
- Presentation of research and editing results at relevant conferences and workshops
- University degree in a humanities major (modern philologies, literary studies, history, history of science, art history, digital humanities), preferably with a PhD degree
- Proven experience in a specific field of digital humanities research and/or the application of the TEI-XML Guidelines and its implementation in digital scholarly editions
- High proficiency in German (at least B2), French (at least B2) and Spanish (at least C1)
- Very good communication, organization and team skills
- Ability to work independently, structured and result-oriented
Desired are knowledge in/experiences with
- the coordination, organisation and implementation of academic projects and cooperation with other research institutions
- research in the field of Latin American and/or Caribbean history of science and culture
- research on Alexander von Humboldt
- the state of discussion and research in the field of (Digital) Cultural Heritage Studies
Salary is competitive and will be paid in accordance with remuneration group 13 TV-L Berlin (Berlin public service salary scale).
The Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities endeavours to increase the proportion of women in areas in which they are underrepresented in accordance with the provisions of the State Equal Opportunities Act and the Women’s Promotion Plan; applications from women are therefore expressly welcome.
Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given priority if they are equally suitable.
The application documents can be submitted in German or English. However, the documents should al-ways include a letter of motivation (max. 1 page) in English or Spanish.
Please send your written application, preferably in PDF format (one file) not exceeding 5 MB in size via e-mail with the subject AV/04/2019 no later than March 31, 2019 to
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Referat Personal und Recht
Frau Ines Hanke
For cost reasons, application documents can only be returned if a free envelope is enclosed.