Symposium on Aspects of Culture
and Landscape in the Americas
Americas Society, Council of the Americas
April 30, 2014, 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Harper Montgomery, Distinguished Lecturer and Patricia Phelps de Cisneros Professor in Latin American Art, Hunter College: morning
- Gabriela Rangel, Director of Visual Arts and Chief Curator, Americas Society: afternoon
11:00am to 1:00pm – PANEL 1: Humboldt and Social Order in the Americas
- Introduction: Wenzel Bilger, Regional Program Director, Goethe-Institute, New York.
- Respondent: Mary Louise Pratt, Silver Professor and Professor of Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Literatures at New York University.
- Ottmar Ette, Chair of Romance Literature, University of Potsdam
Alexander von Humboldt as a World Citizen. Nomadic Knowledge and the Global Landscapes of Theory
- Michael Zeuske, Professor of Caribbean and Latin American History, Universität zu Köln
Humboldt and Slavery
- Laura Dassow Walls, William P. and Hazel B. White Professor of English, University of Notre Dame
The Manifold Nature of Humboldt’s Pocket Cosmos
- Mark Dion, Contemporary Artist
An Artist Responds to the Collecting Tradition of Naturalists in the Neotropics
1:00 pm to 2:30pm – BREAK
2:30pm to 5:30pm – PANEL 2: Humboldt’s Influence on the Art of the Americas
- Video: The Wake, by Dana Levy
- Introduction: Georgia de Havenon, Exhibition Guest Curator
- Respondent: Katherine Manthorne, Professor of Art of the Unites States, Latin America and Their Cross-Currents, 1750-1950, The Graduate Center, City University of New York.
- Tim Barringer, Paul Mellon Professor of the History of Art, Yale University
Humboldt, the Panorama, and Landscape Painting
- Kevin J. Avery, Senior Research Scholar, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Art of the Order of Nature: Frederic Church and Humboldt’s Earthly Model
- Pablo Diener, Professor in the History Department at the Universidad Federal de Mato Grosso, in Brazil
The Creation of a Science Accessible through the Senses: Humboldt and the Travelers‘ Art
- Alicia Lubowski-Jahn: Exhibition Guest Curator
Nature’s Unity: Alexander von Humboldt’s Picturesque Vision of Ecology
Time and place
Council of the Americas
695 Park Avenue, North Building
Room 1527, 15th Floor
New York, NY
April 30, 2014
11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The symposium will be broadcasted live here.