Job Opening in Berlin: Full-time Research Assistant (Digital Humanities) at the Berlin Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
The BERLIN-BRANDENBURG ACADEMY OF SCIENCES AND HUMANITIES (BBAW) is a public corporation based in Berlin. Its academic profile is characterized above all by long-term basic research in the humanities and cultural sciences. The Academy employs around 350 staff and has an annual budget of around 25 million euros.
For the launch of an international digitization and digital edition project, the Academy invites applications for the position of a
Research Assistant (male/female/divers)
in the field of Digital Humanities
(Digital Scholarly Editions and Research Software Development)
100% full-time position for an initial duration until December 31, 2021.
The position should ideally begin as soon as possible.
The CENTRO HUMBOLDT – Center for Digital Cultural Heritage Research, to be founded in 2019, is an
international cooperation at two locations: Berlin (BBAW) and Havana (Casa Museo Alejandro de Humboldt). As an interdisciplinary and intercultural project, the CENTRO HUMBOLDT will be home to a team of international researchers who work to preserve, develop and research written cultural heritage with the help of the technologies and methods of the digital humanities. This includes creating the philological basis for the corpus to be jointly
developed within the framework of a digital workflow (digitization – metadata capture – text capture in TEI-XML – publication) and supporting it with own research and scholarly editing (transcription, indexing, annotation).
The position includes regular work assignments and team meetings in Havana. The focus of the project is on cultural and scientific historical sources of the 18th and 19th centuries in the context of Alexander von Humboldt’s American journey.
- Organization and optimization of the digital workflow at both project locations
- Adaptation of the input interface for digital editions based on Oxygen-XML-Author and ediarum.BASE.edit including documentation (German/Spanish) and tests
- Development of a responsive output component for digital editions and API-implementation
- Oversight of the hardware and software architecture for the project (Berlin/Havana)
- Training of the Cuban team
- Collaboration in the research and text capturing of the project’s corpus
- Presentation of research results at relevant conferences and workshops
- University degree in computer science, digital humanities or a humanities major (modern philologies, history, cultural studies) with a strong research or work experience in digital methods and technologies
- Proven experience in a specific field of digital humanities research and/or the application of the TEI-XML Guidelines and its implementation in digital scholarly editions
- Proven knowledge of one or several programming languages
- High proficiency in Spanish (level C1) and German (level B2)
- Very good communication, organization and team skills
- Ability to work independently, structured and result-oriented
Desired are experiences in/with
- data modeling and processing with XML and X-technologies (XSLT, XQuery, Regex, and XML databases)
- customizing Oxygen-XML-Author
- customization of Linux (preferably in server administration)
The monthly salary will be paid in accordance with remuneration group 13 TV-L Berlin (Berlin public service salary scale).
The Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities endeavours to increase the proportion of women in areas in which they are underrepresented in accordance with the provisions of the State Equal Opportunities Act and the Women’s Promotion Plan; applications from women are therefore expressly welcome.
Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given priority if they are equally suitable.
The application documents can be submitted in German or English. However, the documents should always include a letter of motivation (max. 1 page) in English or Spanish.
Please send your written application, preferably in PDF format (one file) not exceeding 5 MB in size via e-mail with the subject AV/03/2019 no later than 14.04.2019 to
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Referat Personal und Recht
Frau Ines Hanke
Jägerstraße 22/23, 10117 Berlin
For cost reasons, application documents can only be returned if a free envelope is enclosed.