3-year Research Project on Humboldt’s American Travel Diaries announces Openings at the University of Potsdam, Germany
Announcement of Openings
The Chair of French- and Spanish-speaking Literatures (Prof. Dr. Ottmar Ette) at the Institute for Romance Languages and Literatures of the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Potsdam announces 5 openings in the context of a new BMBF project entitled “Alexander von Humboldt’s American Travel diaries: Genealogy, Chronology, and Epistemology.”
The following three-year positions are available for February 1, 2014:
- 1 Postdoctoral Research Assistantship (full-time, 40 hours/week) [155/2013]
- 1 Postdoctoral Research Assistantship (half-time, 20 hours/week) [156/2013]
- 3 Pre-doctoral Research Assistantships (full-time/40 hours/week) [157/2013]
Salaries for all positions are competitive (E 13 and E 14 in the German context).
In the context of this transdisciplinary project (under the direction of Prof. Dr. Ottmar Ette), the following research disciplinary foci are most desirable: literary studies, visual studies, history of science, geography. The expected outcome for each position is either a completed doctoral dissertation or a publishable monograph.
- write a dissertation or monograph in the context of the above project.
- help organize conferences/workshops about the topic of the BMBF project.
- assist in preparing scholarly editions and/or collections.
- collaborate with the project’s partners (Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz)
- Applicants for the pre-doctoral positions must have completed all coursework and examinations in a relevant area of study, that is, in literary studies, history of science, Romance languages and literatures, Latin American studies, geography, art history, visual studies, cultural studies, history, ethnography. Applicants for the postdoctoral positions must have their Ph.D. degree in these fields in hand.
- Applicants must have excellent competency in either Spanish or French
It is NOT required that applicants have already done scholarly work in on the stated research topic, that is, on Alexander von Humboldt.
Application deadline: January 5, 2014
Please send all applications to:
Institut für Romanistik
Professur für französisch- und spanischsprachige Literaturen
Prof. Dr. Ottmar Ette
Am Neuen Palais 10
Because the University of Potsdam seeks to increase the percentage of women in academia, women are especially encouraged to apply. Applications from the differently abled are similarly encouraged.